Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Questions on Chapter 11 of The Great Divorce

1. Why does the spirit tell the ghost (actually his sister) that it's not a question of her being "allowed" to see her son, but of it being "possible"?

2. Consider the following statement from the ghost:

"Oh, you mean religion and all that sort of thing...I'll do whatever's necessary. What do you want me to do? Come on. The sooner I begin it, the sooner they'll let me see my boy. I'm quite ready."

Where do you see this same way of thinking in people's attitudes about church and God today?

3. What do you think of the spirit's statement, "Human beings can't make one another really happy for long?"

4. The Spirit says when we reach Heaven, we find out that we've all been wrong, and that after we realize this, we really start living. If that's the case, why are the people who get back on the bus condemned since those in Heaven were wrong about a lot of things too?

5. What are the implications of the following exchange:

"What? Not my own son, born out of my own body?"
"And where is your body now? Didn't you know that Nature draws to an end?"

6. Why is the ghost more bothered by the spirit saying "you can't hurt anyone in this country" than by anything else?

7. What specifically is the problem in the following statement from the lizard?:

"I know there are no real pleasures now, only dreams. But aren't they better than nothing?"

8. What is the point of the lizard resurrecting into a stallion?

9. What do you think of the contrast made at the end of chapter 11 between the man with the lizard and the mother of Michael?

No comments:

Post a Comment