Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Great Divorce--Ch. 5 and 6 Discussion Questions

Chapter 5:

1. The Spirit asks the intelligent ghost, "Do you really think there are no sins of intellect?" How can ideas or beliefs we hold in our minds be sinful? What would be a good example of a "sin of intellect"?

2. What does the spirit say is the one question "on which all turns," and why isn't the ghost willing to honesty deal with this question? Why is this question so important?

3. What do you think of the spirit's statement: "We know nothing of religion here: We think only of Christ?

4. What is the sin Lewis is bringing to our attention in the following Lines:

"I'm not sure that I've got the exact point you are trying to make," said the Ghost.
"I am not trying to make any point," said the Spirit. "I am telling you to repent and believe."

5. When it comes to questions about God, why would some people rather "travel hopefully" than to arrive?

6. Have you ever witnessed a situation like that described in chapter 6 where someone is offered a remedy for suffering, but cannot receive it because the person has given her attention so completely to the suffering? Why do people do this?

1 comment:

  1. Great discussion tonight. Love the enthusiasm.

    The sin of intellect can be a vicious cycle in our present day culture as well as when the book was written. The thinking that everything needs to be quantified.

    I like the way you explained the guy who believed he was dead.

    This dialogue helps me to have courage to discuss Christianity further with my intelligent atheist brother-in-law because I understand better his reasoning.

    I'm looking for more symbolism and looking forward to the "mountain".

    Thanks and hope to hear from others....

    ReplyDelete